[wxsig] Hot regulator

M PATTON k0yg at msn.com
Tue Jul 18 14:00:23 UTC 2006

Hi Blair,

I ended up replacing the regulator with a switching regulator.  It is
sort of a major undertaking but it works great!  They aren't cheap
(~$15.00).  The one I used is to big to fit in where the existing one is
but is small enough to fit on the back side of the board between the
board and the display.  I used epoxy to hold it in place (make sure
everything works first!).  It runs on an input up to 30V and is very
efficient (and barely gets warm to the touch).  I used a PT78ST105H
available from Mouser or Digikey.

As an alternative, if you don't need the backlight you can remove the
1/2W resistor that feeds it.  That will drop the current considerably
and reduce the power dissipation in the regulator.

73's
Mark - KØYG