[wxsig] One Wire Weather Lockup

John Bennett jabennett at insightbb.com
Sat Jul 29 08:16:44 UTC 2006

That is what I observed here when I was testing the original beta of the
kit (i.e., failure in about 48 hrs). As Will suggested, disconnect the
backlight on the display (if you have not already done so). That seemed
to solve my stability problem. If you did D/C the backlight, and you are
testing this on the bench, try pointing a small muffin fan at the
regulator and see if you still get failure in the same time frame. If
so, then it's likely something else.

Also, on the original T-238, the regulator tends to run on the warm side
and would occasionally lose regulation due to oscillation. I finally got
that under control by disconnecting the backlight and putting 1uF
tantalums *directly* on the regulator leads - both input and output.
Might try that on the T-238+ as well.

>From what I've read in this discussion group, sounds like the switching
regulator would be the way to go.

John