[wxsig] T238 Lightning Damage

Ken Brown Ken.A.Brown at noaa.gov
Mon Jun 19 18:00:33 UTC 2006

Will,

There was a lightning near miss (I think it hit a AM
broadcast station .1 mile away) that took out my
station.  The T238 LCD was blank but the LED was flashing.
There was no output to the TNC.  I found the MAX232
chip bad and replaced it.  Everything came up OK but
the barometer is erratic.  I suspect there was a
transient in the power that may have damaged a regulator
on the barometer board but haven't gotten into that yet.
Anyway, the T238 mostly survived and the sensors seem to
be OK as well except for the barometer.

Ken Brown