[wxsig] X1W-2 help.

John Bennett jabennett at insightbb.com
Sun Jun 25 13:38:18 UTC 2006

Hi Donald,

The manual for the original X1W-2 is still available at:

http://www.tapr.org/~n4xi/x1w-2/

There's no link to it since I believe we sold all of the original kits.
However, I never removed the manual from the site.

The original has the option of either using external power via pin 4 of
the 1-wire cable, or using flea-power off the 1-wire bus. I changed this
in the rev 2 kits since I never had very good luck with running the
humidity sensor on flea-power. Too many hits on the T-238's error
counters. Pin 4 of the 1-wire bus is supplied power from the T-238
(original or the + rev) or from the X1W-1 (with appropriate jumpers
installed). In the rev 2, things are a bit more complicated because of
AAG's "version 3.0" of the wind anemometer re-wired the 4-wire cable
causing the T-238's 5V bus (or the X1W-1, for that matter) to short out.
This was solved with additional jumpers on rev 2.

Since you are not using the T-238 or X1W-1, I would suggest try using
power off the 1-wire bus. If it works, you're good to go. If not, then
you need to somehow get +5V to the unit. You will either need to splice
a 5V supply and ground into the four conductor 1-wire cable or run a
separate pair to power the unit.

If this doesn't help, let me know and I see what else I can come up
with.

73, John
n4xi