[wxsig] Wind application

Will Beals will at beals5.com
Fri Mar 31 00:51:15 UTC 2006

Steve:

I'll go on a different tract from the discussion so far and propose a
slightly different approach from what has been discussed so far and suggest
using ham radio!

The T238+ can be completely solar powered along with a ham radio to transmit
the data.  If power is a very big concern, the T238+ can be augmented to
even control power to the radio so that the radio is only powered on for a
short duration before, during and after the actual transmission.  If you can
have that complete setup running from solar power (I know of one other
person doing exactly this), then you can rely on ham radio to get the signal
from your mountain top to your receiver.

One further step (if it makes sense) is to use APRS-IS as your server.  It
is pretty much what I do.  If your mountaintop radio can get into the
APRS-IS network, then all your data is available in summary form whenever
you need it.  There are several webites that provide nice interfaces to it,
my favorite is findu (http://wx.findu.com/n0xga for me).

As you are new (welcome, by the way!!!) to the reflector, I'm not sure what
you know and don't. So, if this is all stuff you already know and I'm
repeating obvious stuff, sorry.  Just in case though I thought I'd at least
make a plug for what I think is the super-easy way.  If you have some
constraints that make that (or any of the other suggestions) not work well,
then let us know and we'll continue throwing out ideas.