[wxsig] Keying Kenwood HT and Current Consumption questions

Will Beals will at beals5.com
Mon May 1 03:04:05 UTC 2006

Mark:

Thanks for the link.  Good news is the way I read the suggested schematic
onpage 104, I think you are set.  The PTT switch looks like it grounds the
microphone lead furthest from the tip.  You will need to get ground from the
speaker as shown, but that should not be a big deal.

I do AC-couple the audio for the microphone, but they sugget a larger
capacitor than I have on the T238.  I have a 0.1uf cap and they suggest a
10uf cap.  I hope that all makes sense.  If not, I can come up with a
suggested wiring diagram for you.

For power savings, I'd suggest simply plugging in the display for setup,
powering down, removing the display then powering up again.  The T238 should
come back up and run without the LCD.  Also should be no issue removing the
MAX232 as you point out.

Without the LCD, the regulator should be fine.  With the display I know I am
stressing that regulator with a source voltage greater than 12V.  I had a
wall wart sending out close to 14V and the regulator was going into thermal
shutdown.

Do let us know how the project progresses!