[wxsig] Lightning damage

Rasputin Novgorod priapulus at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 25 05:43:44 UTC 2006

Many of us mount our sensors on the radio tower mast
and I've heard that some have suffered from lightning
damage. I doubt there is much we can do about the AAG
wind sensor or outside X1W-2 board. But perhaps we could
protect the serial connections or 1-wire where it enters
the building, just as we protect our radio coaxes.

I might save our T238 or computer. Perhaps earthing the
1-wire common and a 6v zener to clamp the data/feed line?
Right now everything in my shack is surge protected and
bonded to a common-point ground, except the weather station.
Thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

I got thinking about this after my 1-wire to serial
adapter mysteriously died.

/b