[wxsig] Lightning damage

Rasputin Novgorod priapulus at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 26 00:58:36 UTC 2006

My weather station is atop a 20 foot 2-1/2" steel pipe
five feet into the earth, in concrete, forming an Ufer
ground. In addition, there is a 4 foot long, #4 guage cable
bonding the pipe to the station ground rod which earths
the station's common ground point.

What I'm really concerned about is the weather leadin-data
cable that has no protection.

Sincerely
/b

P.S. I'm not really concerned about protecting against direct
lightning hits; that's what insurance is for. I'm worried
about the much more frequent nearby hits that induce noise
into the cables, etc.