[wxsig] T-238+ modem2 No Text on Display

William Beals will at beals5.com
Sun Apr 22 19:03:00 UTC 2007

Charles:

Another possibility is that the MAX232 is not working quite right.  The LCD
needs the -9V supply from that chip to generate the bias voltage used by the
potentiomenter to adjust the screen contrast.  Check both sides of the
potentiometer with a volt meter, one side should be +5V, the other side
should be -9V.  Or, meausre Vlc on the LCD module and wiggling the pot
should adjust the voltage from +5V to -9V.

If you don't see the -9V, check all the caps around the MAX232.  If it does
check out, then we're back to hoping somewhere there is an open or short on
the seven control signals to the LCD.  Best bet in that case is to have the
LCD plugged in and the entire T238 powered off and measure continuity for
all the signals.

Let us know if that works.