[wxsig] RE: t238 (no +)

lothar.harris at sbcglobal.net lothar.harris at sbcglobal.net
Sat Apr 28 11:15:59 UTC 2007

In your ranking I would put the Oregon WMR-968 in there somewhere. It is
inexpensive, seems to be reliable and with Virtual Weather software seems to
be very accurate (can be fully calibrated in software).  I bought mine from
COSTCO for $200 after deciding that I could buy three of them for what one
Davis Vantage Pro costs. Besides, DAVIS and the DAVIS  "data logger"
attachment makes for a truly proprietary setup with more than one point of
failure. And you are correct to point out that they all wear out so why not
buy one that you can replace at less than a third of the cost??

You can see my weather data on
http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage.cgi?call=ke5jxs (I need to change my
call sign) and my next project is to relocate the temp/hyg sensor to reduce
the solar radiation variances. An UPS for the data interface and laptop may
also be in the works since power outages during storms kind of defeats the
whole concept of real time reporting. And oh yes - a web page - you got to
have a web page!!  This "hobby" can get expensive quickly!!

So if you "throw in your two cents worth" but I only offered "a penny for
your thoughts" - who gets the change???

73, Lothar K5LEH