[wxsig] b4 I buy?

Rich Mulvey rich at mulveyfamily.com
Mon Jan 8 04:51:12 UTC 2007

John Yost wrote:
> I'm ready to jump into this automated wx stuff.
>
> But, I'm a little confused as to what I need to get
> started. Just the T-238+ and the Weather Instrument
> Kit.
>
> Or, is there more I need?  Of course, I know I need
> some hookup wire and misc items, I'm talking about any
> of the other kits.
>
> The XYL also wondered why I would want to "buy a kit"
> instead of the pre-made sensors the aagelectronica
> sells.
> I told her for the fun of building it and that the
> T-238 also provides the display without the need for a
> computer.
>
> Any suggestions are really appreciated.

   The AAG Weather Instrument isn't a "kit" in the sense you appear to
think - the only thing you have to do with it is seal the edge with some
silicone and put in a few screws.

   Be warned that the temperature sensor inside the weather head is all
but useless.  Since it's totally sealed, it will report incorrect
temperatures most of the time.  For accurate
temperature measurement, you will want to get a separate temp sensor and
an appropriate enclosure - there are lots of plans for inexpensively
made sensor pagodas on the web.

   For additional sensors, I recommend the ones from
http://www.hobby-boards.com/ over those from AAG.  I've bought from both
places over the years, and the
Hobby Boards stuff is better constructed, in my experience.  You can
purchase most of them as either kits, or pre-assembled.

- Rich