[wxsig] Setting up a Davis ProVantage II and a KPC-3

Joseph Vilardo jvilardo at verizon.net
Wed Jan 10 03:10:00 UTC 2007

In order to get the WX data to the  TNC you need to have the Davis WEATHER
LINK APRS ( Davis 6540).  It is a hardware module that plugs into the Davis
Vantage pro II console and you will want the serial version of this module
to interface to the KPC 3 + .  There is also a USB version if you just want
to port data from the WX console to your PC that may not have a serial port,
seems lots of the new PC hardware out there only have USB ports.  The Davis
6540 WeatherLink APRS also comes with software to display wx data on your
computer and has a configuration software tool to port data to a TNC.  After
configuring your TNC and WeatherLink logger you can disconnect the computer
and just have the Davis Vantage Pro send data directly to your TNC and
radio, the TNC controls how often it is sent,  usually every 10 to 15
minutes.

With your system set up as described above you can transmit WX data over the
APRS RF network and it will find it's way to one of the APRS internet
servers, this assumes your station is within reach of an APRS gateway,  and
be forwarded to the FINDU servers.  You can offer your WX data to NOAA's
CWOP (Citizens Weather Observation Program) if you so desire
http://www.findu.com/citizenweather/

Hope the information helps.

Joe