[wxsig] Trvia comment on 5 dollars a month computer operating cost.

Rasputin Novgorod priapulus at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 14 15:42:35 UTC 2007

--- Don Jeerings <djeerings at tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> I just measured the wattage of 3 different desktop computers
> If it was run at 50 % of the power supply rated load, it could cost
> you (monitor  included) $15.00 per month.

My study, 12'x12' (former bedroom), with a window and insulated
outside walls, has one door (kept open) to the rest of the
apartment. I have seven computers, two monitors, assorted
radios and power supplies always running (weather station,
APRS, radio control, servers).

In the winter, I have that room's thermostat off, yet the room
stays as warm as the rest of the apartment (remember, the door
is open to the rest of the apartment). In the summer, the study is
about 5-10 degrees warmer (whew) than the rest of the apartment,
unless I open the window and use an exhaust fan.

In the winter, I figure most of the electricity consumed
by the electronics is thrown off as heat, reducing my
heating bill, (so the electronics is running for free?).

Unfortunately, this is offset by extra summer airconditioning...

/b