[wxsig] Trvia comment on 5 dollars a month computer operating cost.

John Koster w9ddd at tapr.org
Sun Jan 14 20:19:28 UTC 2007

Yes your electronics run for free during the heating season, if you are
heating with electric resistance heat. Same theory applies to anything
else using electicity inside the envelope.

However, if you use some other heating system which cost less per joule
than the electricty (factor in the efficiency please), then it's not free,
but it's still not completely wasted.

And as mentioned the opposite applies in the cooling season.  You pay for
the electricity plus the cost of removing it (the generated heat)
from the building envelope.  The generated heat is essentially equal to
the energy consumed by the device.  If your cooling device consues a joule
to remove a joule then you're paying twice.  Fortunately most air
conditioners are more efficient than that.

John, W9DDD, CEM