[wxsig] X1W-2 Problem

Leon Bruner leon at ljjf.net
Sat Jun 9 16:09:31 UTC 2007

Hello,

I recently received both X1W-1 and X1W-2 kits to add to our completed
T238+ weather station.  My son and I have completed the X1W-1 without
the EMP or rain gauge as our intial plan was to install the rain gauge
and EMP components onto the X1W-2 outside board.

This morning we started work on the X1W-2 we got as far as soldering the
DS2438 onto the board as described in the Surface Mount Devise
Installation section of the manual.  After soldering the DS2348 we
realized we failed to notice that the board we received in our kit
appears to be a rev 1 board rather than the rev 2 board.  Part of our
confusion came from the fact that the photo link,
http://www.tapr.org/~n4xi/x1w-2v2/smd-place.jpg, on the to the Install
SMD pages of the manual (http://www.tapr.org/~n4xi/x1w-2v2/) shows the
old board rather than the rev 2 board as is shown in subsequent photos
and drawings.

So the question we have is how to proceed?  It seems we have two ways to
go.  First would be to stop here and request the updated board and a new
DS2438 from TAPR.  The second option would be to proceed with assembly
of the X1W-2 using the rev 1 board.  If we go option 2 we would also
need to install the rain gauge and EMP components onto the X1W-1.  With
regard to the second option the following questions come to mind:  Are
the instructions found in the manual found on the TAPR website
(http://www.tapr.org/~n4xi/x1w-2v2/) suitable for assembly of the rev1
board?, and do we have the correct components for assembly of the rev 1
board?

I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts on the best way to go.  On the
onehand we'd like to use this rainy weekend to make progress on our
station.  On the otherhand, if there is significant advantage to having
the rev 2 board we'll  work on getting the correct board.

Thanks for your help- we appreciate it.

Leon and Jacob