[wxsig] X1W-2 Problem

John Koster w9ddd at tapr.org
Sat Jun 9 18:00:42 UTC 2007

I've sent Leon a private email regarding any exchange, replacement or
whatever he chooses.

In the processing of giving him some information, I noticed that the link
to the documentation on one of TAPR web pages still pointed to the rev 1
instructions.  I've updated the page to include both the links to rev1 and
rev2 instructions.

The printed links included in the kit appear to have the correct links.

Sorry for any confusion.

On Sat, 9 Jun 2007, Leon Bruner wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I recently received both X1W-1 and X1W-2 kits to add to our completed
> T238+ weather station.  My son and I have completed the X1W-1 without
> the EMP or rain gauge as our intial plan was to install the rain gauge
> and EMP components onto the X1W-2 outside board.
>
> This morning we started work on the X1W-2 we got as far as soldering the
> DS2438 onto the board as described in the Surface Mount Devise
> Installation section of the manual.  After soldering the DS2348 we
> realized we failed to notice that the board we received in our kit
> appears to be a rev 1 board rather than the rev 2 board.  Part of our
> confusion came from the fact that the photo link,
> http://www.tapr.org/~n4xi/x1w-2v2/smd-place.jpg, on the to the Install
> SMD pages of the manual (http://www.tapr.org/~n4xi/x1w-2v2/) shows the
> old board rather than the rev 2 board as is shown in subsequent photos
> and drawings.
>
> So the question we have is how to proceed?  It seems we have two ways to
> go.  First would be to stop here and request the updated board and a new
> DS2438 from TAPR.  The second option would be to proceed with assembly
> of the X1W-2 using the rev 1 board.  If we go option 2 we would also
> need to install the rain gauge and EMP components onto the X1W-1.  With
> regard to the second option the following questions come to mind:  Are
> the instructions found in the manual found on the TAPR website
> (http://www.tapr.org/~n4xi/x1w-2v2/) suitable for assembly of the rev1
> board?, and do we have the correct components for assembly of the rev 1
> board?
>
> I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts on the best way to go.  On the
> onehand we'd like to use this rainy weekend to make progress on our
> station.  On the otherhand, if there is significant advantage to having
> the rev 2 board we'll  work on getting the correct board.
>
> Thanks for your help- we appreciate it.
>
> Leon and Jacob

John, W9DDD