[wxsig] Newbie question

Jim Gurley jimg at cavenet.com
Thu Mar 1 20:19:19 UTC 2007

Our local sailing club would really like to know the wind
speed/direction at a spot offshore.  NOAA doesn't have the budget to
install a real weather buoy, so  it's up to me (us).  We think the
USCG will allow us to place an instrument package on a navigation
buoy in the area of interest, although installing it will be a good trick!

Needs:
1) Wind speed/direction required
2) Able to communicate with base station about 1.8 miles away (good
line of sight).
3) Solar panel operated. (Night time observations not important, so
maybe no or very small battery?).
4) Marine environment (non freezing, but salt water and frequent gale
conditions)
5) Low cost, since the USCG has a hard time just keeping the buoy in
place, and it will probably be lost more than once.

The Dallas Wind sensor seems like a reasonable input device, although
sufficient accuracy might be possible with a wand with strain
gauges.  I'm a competent PIC programmer, so that wouldn't be too
challenging.  The 1.8 miles is the gotcha for me.  There are no
available locations for repeaters, so I'm thinking it will have to be
either a packet radio or possibly a cobbled-up FRS type personal walkie talkie.

Any suggestions?