[wxsig] Newbie question

wn0x at earthlink.net wn0x at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 2 03:37:03 UTC 2007

I think you will need a radio in both cases.  The old Realistic HTX202 are cheap, run off of twelve volts and have standard connectors for power and audio.  The nice thing about handy talkies in general is that they are designed to run on 12 volts or less, work with compromise antenna systems and are relatively inexpensive.

The T238+ will obviate the need to perform any additional processing on the data from the weather station.  It performs the data collection, averaging and modem functions and will report in standard APRS format.

There is a modification to turn on the radio a few seconds before you need to transmit, which would save battery power.

You could also remove the backlighting on the LCD to save additional power, but I think the T238 will even run without the display.

A down side is that the basic weather station from AAG is wind speed, wind direction and temperature only, they are only $88 bucks though.  I am not sure how they would hold up in a salty wet environment.  Other sensors are available as needed.

You might consider a small solar controller like the MicroM+ http://www.theheathkitshop.com/microm.html to charge your batteries. This unit draws very little power and will not discharge your batteries overnight.

I am working on a similar project for land-based remote weather and really like the T238 as an option.

To be fair, there are also PIC based projects like the OpenTracker that will perform a similar function to the T238+ and also supports Peet weather stations.  I believe the Byonics WxTrack is a pic based unit that supports Radio Shack WX200, the Oregon Scientific WM-918, and the Peet Brothers Ultimeter 100, Ultimeter 800, Ultimeter 2000, and Ultimeter 2100.

This may be an option for you as well.