[wxsig] Sensors -- opinions please?

William Beals will at beals5.com
Fri Mar 2 04:48:27 UTC 2007

Paul:

I'll throw in my two cents, but lots of experts on the sensor side out
there!

1) If the T238+ is going to be in a small box, try really hard not to feed
it much above 12V.  I chose a cheap linear regulator that does get pretty
hot if you are driving the LCD backlight.  Alternately, put the backlight
power on a switch and you will be fine.

2) In terms of which sensors, I suspect that depends on what may be of
interest to the folk you are supplying data for.  The AAG wind
direction/speed/temperature is pretty much a baseline instrument.  The X1W-1
and X1W-2 do a very good job of filling out your other sensor needs.  Make
queries before you get other sensors from AAG.  I found out recently that
they recently changed the internal electronics of the TAI8750 humidity and
BP sensor so that it is no longer "understood" by the T238+.

3) If power is going to be interrupted frequently, I'd also suggest the
DS1994 time ibutton so that the T238 can get the time every power-up instead
of you having to set it.

Sounds fun!  Please post pictures when you can.  Hope that answers at least
some questions.