[wxsig] Newbie question

William Beals will at beals5.com
Fri Mar 2 05:29:12 UTC 2007

Jim:

The modulation requirements in terms of signal purity and frequency accuracy
are pretty stringent.  For the T238+ and a lot of the other APRS
projects--including PIC ones, the MX614 chip is a nice solution to implement
the modulation/demodulation.  I have a long term science project where I'd
like to implement it digitally with an FPGA, but nothing more than thinking
about it so far.

The T238s value is really taking the raw data (counts for wind speed, A/D
values for temperature) from the 1-wire sensors and converting them to
human-readable units and formatting them for APRS.  The T238+ added the
modem functions, saving a TNC.  If you get a commercial weather station that
puts out data already in serial format and human-readable form such as one
of the Peet units, then you could get a kit such as the TinyTrack, PicE, or
several others that accept serial data and send it out APRS.  Since you are
PIC expert, I suspect modifying its code for your purposes may not be too
bad.  I'm not sure on cost of the two solutions relative to eachother.  I
think the T238+ might be better.

Lots of options! :)