[wxsig] Array of X1W-4 sensors to detrime direction and distance ?

Stanley Reynolds stanley_reynolds at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 12 17:50:52 UTC 2008

Hi my first post.

Has anyone setup an array of 3 or 4 sensors to analyze the time difference to calculate direction and distance ?

What would be a reasonable separation ?
In an extreme case sensors separated by miles with accurate clocks at each site and linked by data radio back to a central point, would improve resolution at the cost of much more complexity.

Would polling the parallel printer port on a  PC be fast enough to see the difference ?

Would a extra much higher sensor than the rest provide a answer to the question of cloud to cloud vs cloud to ground ? Or if cloud to cloud the altitude ?

You could calibrate differences in the sensors by placing them close together but should any parts be matched like feed wire length and type ?

I know the local weather broadcast has lighting location data so I assume this is possible but I don't know how their data is gathered.

This would be similar to the way the GPS system works but hopefully much simpler.