[wxsig] Array of X1W-4 sensors to detrime direction and distance ?

Gerry Creager gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Wed Feb 13 06:16:21 UTC 2008

Using GPS for timing, one could expect 3 relatively closely spaced
receivers to have common clock locking and be synched to within oh, say,
20 ns.  More likely, it's much better than that; I'm being conservative.

Getting a baseline off 3 receivers is relatively trivial, and depending
on the frequency of the impulse one can make some assumptions about
height... if I understand what I think I've heard.  I've included
someone with a working knowledge of Vaisala's lightning detection
technology in the address list.

If one were to do this as a relatively long baseline study, one should
be able to get significantly better than 1/4 mile resolution, I'd think.
  Realize that the attitude detection GPS systems can resolve both
shorter distances and very small angle and direction changes with
baselines measured in terms of 1-3 meters.

gerry