[wxsig] Fried CPU?

William Beals will at beals5.com
Tue Jan 15 04:39:51 UTC 2008

John:

When you try to do downloads, does the LCD panel show the text saying that
it is waiting for the CPU?  If so, that is a good sign that the CPU may be
OK.

Also, in my long batch of questions, I asked if the LED did any blinking at
all when you tried powering up with as little plugged in as possible.

It is a very long shot, but in case you haven't tried it, also check to see
that the CPU voltage (pins 1, 20,and 31) go down to zero volts when you push
the reset button.

If the answers are Yes, nothing, and 0V, then I'd be willing to bet that the
CPU is OK, but somehow the code got corrupted.  Believe it or not, that has
been very rare.  I think it has happened twice to my knowledge--at least by
folk communicating on this reflector.

Good point on needing the special crystal, I forgot about that!  Given that,
your best bet may be to send me the CPU.  If it does turn out to be OK, I
will just reprogram it and send it back.  If it is damaged somehow, I'll go
digging for a spare around here and let you know what it cost me.