Order Tray | Contact Us | Home | SIG Lists

[wxsig] Crashing and random characters

Guy Story KC5GOI kc5goi at gmail.com
Sat Jul 5 21:39:09 UTC 2008

John Bennett wrote:
> Guy Story KC5GOI wrote:
>> With the back light pin removed, I got several days of run time.  It 
>> froze on Wednesday when I was at work.  I am testing a theory right 
>> now.  I still have a couple of the original release systems including my 
>> personal one.  Since the same processor chip was used I swapped the 
>> processor from the T238+ with an older one.  I turned the voltage down 
>> to 12.8 on the power supply and am running it stand alone now.  If it 
>> stays stable then there is a problem with the T238+ kit a club member 
>> assembled.  If it crashes, I am going to return to the plus board and 
>> start removing sensors one at a time. I will let everyone know what I 
>> find when the freezing stops. 
>> Guy
>> _______________________________________________
>> wxsig mailing list
>> wxsig at lists.tapr.org
>> https://lists.tapr.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/wxsig
> OK, I'll throw in my 2-cents worth.
> About two years ago I upgraded the original T-238 to the latest 
> firmware. While it ran, it seemed to freeze once every week or so. I 
> attributed this to some sort of power anomaly or RF getting into the 
> 1-wire cable.
> Then the big one hit. Took out virtually *everything* at the site. Over 
> the next month or so I rebuilt the T-238 from the ground up. No damage 
> to the T-238 PCB itself but eventually replaced every component except 
> the resistors (they were checked with an ohmmeter). I re-installed the 
> station at a different site. Had problems again with the unit freezing. 
> However this time it was every 24-48 hours. I even tried a different 
> MCU. Same results. Same version of the firmware as before. Did 
> everything else that has been suggested. Back light disconnected, PS 
> from a 13.8V regulated source. Regulator running cool.
> In total frustration, I finally decided to drop back several versions of 
> the firmware. I believe where I finally landed was version 1.13.x. With 
> that version it has worked flawlessly ever since. Will and I exchanged 
> several emails on this. After down-grading and it was running in a 
> stable manner, I stopped pursuing it. In fact, I could not tell you the 
> last time the box was power-cycled. My software uses the 'Peet' mode and 
> I process the data within the daemon on the Linux box connected to the 
> station. Therefore, the other issues that the firmware upgrade addressed 
> really didn't matter.
> In both instances, the cable run from the T-238 to the sensors was long. 
> How long exactly I don't know. Never measured it. My guess is over 50' - 
> maybe even as much as 75'. The previous installation that got hit by 
> lightning had a run of 40'. There was a discussion thread on cable type 
> and length some time back. From what I remember it lead me to suspect 
> there is a timing issue somewhere causing the problem. If that is the 
> case, you may have been sitting on the fence and the aging of components 
> has pushed it over the edge. When I went to a longer cable, the problem 
> became worse.
> Let me emphasize that this is my experience and does not necessarily 
> mean it's your problem too. However, if everything else fails, might 
> want to consider dropping back to a previous firmware version to see if 
> that helps.
> 73,
> John
> n4xi
> _______________________________________________
> wxsig mailing list
> wxsig at lists.tapr.org
> https://lists.tapr.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/wxsig
So far I am about a day into the older kit, swapped processor (not using 
the one that shipped with the new kit), updated to current firmware, 
12.8 vdc, no back light connection, wind speed and direction, rain 
gauge, humidity sensors attached.  I found the baro is unforgiving if 
you have the wrong rj11 cable.  So far the regulator is cool and no 
crashes.  I want to run this config for about a week.  The wind 
instrument is about 75 wire feet, rain 30, humidity is less than 10.  I 
have not had issues related to wire length in the past.  I am sure that 
there is a limit due to voltage drop.  So far so good.


More information about the wxsig mailing list