[wxsig] compatibility with ultrasonic sensor

William Beals will at beals5.com
Sun Jul 13 03:41:37 UTC 2008

Jay:

I looked at the website and it appears to be having some problems with
internal links not working.  I'm in a place that has a tortured path to the
internet, so it may be an issue with me rather than the website.

>From what I can see, it doesn't look good for the T-238 as-is.  The T238 is
designed very much around the 1-wire interface and this product looks to use
a serial interface.  The chip has only one UART which is targeted at output
data.  As a hardware platform and with some code work, the T238 hardware
could actually fit your application quite well.  Most of the code could
still be used--at least in terms of the 1-wire interface for other sensors
as well as all the APRS formatting and transmitting.  By repurposing the
UART code from APRS support to the distance sensor, you could support it an
exclusively use the MX614 for APRS opps. I also have code set up to handle
the power modes you are talking about as well as monitor battery power
levels.  A couple folk have successfully done so too.

So, short answer not as-is, but it would "only" require about a third of the
code to be swizzled with no hardware changes needed to get what you need.
My code is open for any non-commercial use, but you'd need to volunteer or
find a volunteer.