[wxsig] Crashing and random characters

John Bennett jabennett at insightbb.com
Tue Jul 22 01:47:56 UTC 2008

John Koster wrote:
> So am I drawing the right conclusion?  The processor chip from the T238+
> kit was bad?
>
> On Mon, 21 Jul 2008, Guy Story KC5GOI wrote:
>
>> I wanted to let the list know what I have found out and it took some
>> patience.  I took advantage of the fact that the only difference between
>> the older kits I have been using and the newer kit was the circuit
>> board.  It reduced the variables.  I have had faith in the code that has
>> been released so I started there.  Since the microprocessors are the
>> same throughout the projects life span, I took a microprocessor that has
>> been running for multiple years and flashed it to the Wills most current
>> version and placed that on an older board.  One week later I still had
>> the heart beat.  That ruled out sensors, cabling, code, older board (I
>> could duplicate the crashing problem on the newer processor on the older
>> board) and pointed to the processor.
>>
>> I then swapped the processor to the current circuit boards, everything
>> else the same.  Ten days later I still have the heart beat and readings.
>>
>> I am not sure how soon I can get it back in service but W5NGU-3 will
>> soon start to give wx data from 300ft again.
>>
>> There is one fatality, the baro sensor is not reverse polarity
>> protected.  I am sure that is already known but just encase someone sees
>> this post and does not know it, I am putting it in.
>>
>> 73
>>
>> Guy

Wow. A bad MCU is not unheard of, but not in the quantity this would
indicate. I wonder if Motorola, in their infinite wisdom, changed some
of the timing parameters on writing to the EEPROM in a revision of the
chip. Might be worth looking into. I would sooner think that than a bad
bunch of MCUs.

John
n4xi