[wxsig] Crashing and random characters

William Beals will at beals5.com
Mon Jun 30 04:19:46 UTC 2008

Guy:

Ouch, that doesn't sound good.  It also doesn't sound familiar
unfortunately.

You definitely want the 1.15.8 firmware, it is a lot better and more stable
than 1.15.4.

Any chance the voltage regulator is overheating?  It can happen reliably if
your incoming supply is much over 12V and your backlight is on.  For a
lightly loaded and unregulated wall wart, that voltage can easily get up to
14 or more volts.  The regulator handles it for a while, but then starts
going into thermal shutdown which isn't a graceful on/off shutdown.