[wxsig] Crashing and random characters

Guy Story KC5GOI kc5goi at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 12:01:58 UTC 2008

William Beals wrote:
> Guy:
>
> Ouch, that doesn't sound good.  It also doesn't sound familiar
> unfortunately.
>
> You definitely want the 1.15.8 firmware, it is a lot better and more stable
> than 1.15.4.
>
> Any chance the voltage regulator is overheating?  It can happen reliably if
> your incoming supply is much over 12V and your backlight is on.  For a
> lightly loaded and unregulated wall wart, that voltage can easily get up to
> 14 or more volts.  The regulator handles it for a while, but then starts
> going into thermal shutdown which isn't a graceful on/off shutdown.
>
> will

Will, the heat sink for the voltage regulator is getting too hot to
touch.  I do not require the back light.  I will check the schematic
tonight for the trace the backlight is on and cut the trace.  I remember
we had to do that on the original kit year ago due to a short on that
trace.  The power supply is putting about 13.3, and I am running 4
instruments.

Thanks.

Guy