[wxsig] Using T238+ with LaCrosse Technology Wx Station

William Beals will at beals5.com
Thu Mar 6 02:04:51 UTC 2008

Lee:

I couldn't afford any of those high-dollar weather stations either!

Unfortunately, the problem you are having is the same I had.  Outside the
Peet and Davis solutions, there are no real standard ways of getting data
from those devices to something that could then reformat the data to
APRS-ese.  It was that conundrum that finally convinced me to start the T238
project.  The Peet format for weather data is part of the APRS spec, so if
you ever could find one cheap, all you'd need is a TNC and radio.

I must confess to have not been keeping up with other weather stations once
I started the T238.  Does the LaCrosse weather station have some kind of
serial output that sends the data out in a known/published format?  If so,
then there may be hope of a PC-based converter program available somewhere.
If not, then you may be pretty stuck.

BTW, one minor point I do like to bring up.  Having a PC on 24/7 to do any
of your weather data processing is pretty expensive.  At least here in
Colorado where electricity is 10 cents per KWH, a 100W PC being left on 24/7
costs about $7.20 a month.  That adds up pretty quick!  At least, that is
how I justified some of the hardware cost to my wife--"Honey, I'm *saving*
money with this project!!" :)