[wxsig] Transmit problem with T-238+ Modem

William Beals will at beals5.com
Thu Oct 16 03:25:02 UTC 2008

Michael:

I thought I had released 1.16.0, but it doesn't appear so, so do please
update to 1.15.8.  1.15.4 was the very first T238+ firmware release and it
did have a decent number of bugs.  Data from that firmware release will not
be displayed on a Kenwood radio due to the callsign issue I discovered.

The spaces on the screen are OK in the WIDEn-n setup.  I do that just to
keep text in the same place.

With no data in the two repeater fields, the igate has to hear you directly.
To my knowledge, if you do use WIDEn-n, it should only be in the first
repeater and the second should be blank.  Mark's suggestion of putting
WIDEn-n in both fields is surprising, but if it works, cool.

To your earlier question of how to set the transmit volume.  Ideally you
have a silly-scope and you look at the output on another radio and increase
volume until you start to see clipping.  The real-world suggestion I've
heard and personally used is set up a radio to listen to either your
existing kenwood or just any other TNC in earshot and then transmit yours
and adjust volume until they sound similar.  The other suggestion is to
increase volume until you don't hear it getting any louder on the receiver
(clipping), then back off until you hear it get a little quieter.  General
good news is that short of massive overclipping, TNC signals are reasonably
tolerant of clipping.

If you are in TNC mode, the baud rate for transmissions is fixed at 1200
baud.

On the position format, I had to go back and look at the manual! :) Your
format is correct

This menu is used to enter a position string and set up the
modem if you have it. The position string is only used in
the TNC and modem formats and is optional. You are first
asked if you want a string, and if so, you are asked to enter
the string. The format is "ddmm.mmN/dddmm.mmW" (or S/E
depending on where you are in the world). The cursor
starts at the first digit. Press the up and down buttons to
select the digit/letter you want, then press select to go on to
the next character. Note that the format assumes decimal
notation for the minutes, so 45 degrees, 30 minutes, 15
seconds would be entered as 4530.25.

Do you have a TNC of any sort?  If so, one debugging trick is to put it in
KISS mode and have it listening to your transmissions. If you get any data,
that is a really good sign.  If nothing else it may give you a hint as to
what in the transmission may be broken

Good luck, feel free to keep on asking questions until the problem is
solved.