[wxsig] T238(+) 1.16.1 Firmware release

William Beals will at beals5.com
Tue Apr 14 00:54:41 UTC 2009

Scott:

The special WIDEn-n feature was actually from a request from Mr. APRS
himself.  He made the request a long time ago, I got it implemented, but had
a detail question he didn't reply to (and I didn't pester him for an
answer), and I ended up moving on to other things.  I can't even remember
the detail question anymore!

The purpose of the feature is to reduce overall APRS network bandwidth yet
still provide decent coverage, emphasizing better coverage locally, but
still provide long range coverage though less frequently.  The root issue is
the over-success of WIDEn-n repeaters, where a signal getting hopped three
times for example can end up covering huge territories.  In many areas, folk
are being asked to reduce the number or try to use more detailed paths, but
this request tries to still get that wide coverage, but doing so less
frequently.

The WIDE121212 simply alternates between WIDE1-1 and WIDE2-2 between
transmissions.  Local folk will get every transmission while folk requiring
two hops will see every other transmission

The WIDE121213 is a further extension of that idea, but every sixth
transmission being WIDE3-3.

I'm paraphrasing the explanation I received several years ago, but it made a
lot of sense, enough that I remember it quite well.  I really should have
released that code back when I first finished it!

Lemme look into the altitude info support.  I do remember getting the
question at some point in the past, but can't remember if it was a "round
tuit" I never got to or there was a technical issue.