[wxsig] questions

William Beals will at beals5.com
Fri Mar 6 03:39:54 UTC 2009

Clay:

Yes, the 1-wire protocol is very well defined and consistent.  What isn't
consistent is how the weather data is transmitted over that 1-wire protocol.
For things like rain and wind speed that are essentially just counting
clicks, it is pretty consistent as there is pretty much only one obvious
way.  For things like wind direction, humidity, barometric pressure, the way
data is represented depends on what sensor they pick and how they interface
it to a 1-wire chip.

Texas Weather instruments was (and clearly is) still very expensive.  When
Dallas got out of the business of selling essentially subsidized sensors
there was a collective panic until AAG came along.  AAGs new line of sensors
are a radical departure from what they had before, so it would be a rewrite
of the T238 code that gets the wind speed, direction, and temperature data.

What I can say and know a lot of others agree, is that the quality of the
Texas Weather instruments and their offspring (Dallas sensors and the AAG
ones) is very high.  My weather station has had issues, but none have been
due to the instruments themselves.  My friends and relatives with the Peet
and Davis instruments have not been nearly as long-lived.