[wxsig] AAG Version 3.0 to T238

William Beals will at beals5.com
Sun Mar 29 21:25:32 UTC 2009

Rich:

OK on wind sensor working now, chalk it up to a mystery solved for reasons
unknown!

For the display dimming, are you talking about the backlight or the
characters?

If it is the backlight, then be worried!  That means the 12V supply is
getting dragged down enough affect the backlight brightness.  It takes a lot
of power to do that, so something is likely getting damaged.

If it is the LCD characters that are dimming, that is likely a heavy load on
the RS-232 data lines on your PC, suggestive of a cross-wired signal.  The
LCD module needs a negative supply, so I cheat (a little) by borrowing the
-9V the MAX232 generates for RS-232 signals and run it to the negative
supply for the LCD.  This usually works pretty good, your report is the
first I've heard of where there has been an interaction.  Well, at least the
first person that has told me anyway.  The PC isn't supposed to provide much
of a load to those lines, but the MAX-232 doesn't provide much current
either.  I only drive one line, the Tx line, so unless you have a short
somewhere to a neighboring pin, it should be hard to drag down that line.
That is where I'd poke around and see if you see something strange.