[wxsig] Tx problem fixed

William Beals will at beals5.com
Wed May 13 01:23:35 UTC 2009

Pedro:

Great!

The purpose of the capacitor is to provide DC isolation between the modem
and your radio.  Most handhelds use a DC offset to signal PTT, but even the
ones that don't mind an isolated output.  Where we have run into trouble
before is that if the radio input impedance is low enough, the cap ends up
being more of a filter than just a DC isolator.  The symptom is usually low
audio, not NO audio though.  Hence, not sure if it was a bad cap or just so
far off on radio impedance that no audio at all was able to pass.  In any
event, I would suggest a larger capacitor over no DC isolation at all.  The
0.1uf cap suggested by John would be fine.  Also, since you are solving it
for just your radio, what you can do is get an electrolytic cap.  You need
to measure the DC bias on both the T238 and your radio to determine the
correct polarity.  Since I was making a generic interface I needed to stick
with a non-polarized capacitor.