[wxsig] Newbie questions...what to buy?

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Tue Nov 17 21:51:38 UTC 2009

The Argent Data Systems ADS-WS1:

http://n1vg.net/ads-ws1-rev1.jpg
http://n1vg.net/ads-ws1-mast.jpg

(Yeah, I know the cables aren't dressed.  I did that after I took the
picture.)

The firmware is still very much under development, but I'm working right
now on getting a small batch of complete kits ready to go for beta
testing.  I just got half a dozen boards soldered up, less a couple of
parts I'm out of until later in the week.

Most of the fancy features are unfinished, but as-is it'll function like
an OpenTracker+ or Tracker2 in terms of APRS weather reporting features
(and it's got an 8-amp relay for radio power control) and it puts out
Peet Bros data logger format.  With no build-in battery backup in this
version, you need to set the time with a PC and keep it powered if you
want the time to be accurate.  That's not needed for the APRS side.

It will also do voice reporting, but a bunch of the samples are
currently being re-recorded.

Retail price will be about $150.  Beta units will be offered at a
discount, and hopefully very soon.

Scott
N1VG