[wxsig] 1-wire UV sensors anyone?

John Bennett jabennett at insightbb.com
Tue Apr 27 02:06:07 UTC 2010

A few years back I looked into this in some detail. Coming up with a
one-wire interface for UV sensors is easy. The problem I ran into was
calibration. Without some means of calibrating the sensor, data becomes
somewhat meaningless. If you get sensors that do have some sort of
calibration, they are quite expensive and well beyond the basic KISS
principal on which the one-wire sensors are based.

There is also the question of support. Although there has been enough
interest to exhaust the supply of EMP sensor kits TAPR offered (and we
were considering making another run), the fact remains that it is mostly
an experimental item. While my weather server code supports it, it has
never been incorporated into the T238.

Therefore with no support either in my code or Will's for a UV sensor,
the question that begs is how do you get a readout?

I would be interested in pursuing something like this if there was
enough interest and some calibration scheme that made sense could be
determined. Then there is also the fact that I need time to do it. My
present job has me way too busy to start any new projects. I hate being
negative, but hopefully you can see the problems. I have ideas for other
sensors, but just have not had the time to devote to them.

If someone out there has any ideas, please throw them out here on the forum.

73,

John Bennett
n4xi