[wxsig] T238 update

William Beals will at beals5.com
Fri Aug 6 03:49:03 UTC 2010

Folks:

It has been a long time since I've posted much.  I've been working on a
basement remodel that consumed most of a year.  On top of that I've upgraded
to Windows 7 and had a heck of a time getting all my development environment
back up and running.  I am getting back into some T238 maintenance issues
that I now have been hanging around for a while.  To wit:

1) I finally figured out how to interface to the Windows API for serial port
comms, so on the T238 homepage (http://www.beals5.com/wx), if you go to the
downloads page, you will see an entry for Mon08w.  This is still a command
line program, but is now designed to work under a windows OS and still be
able to talk reliably to a UART using windows API calls.  It works reliably
for me (sample quantity one!), so as you do attempt T238 firmware upgrades,
please try out this new program and let me know how it works.

2) I had an older task of getting the T238 to support the DS1904 timekeeper
iButton as the DS1994 is no longer being produced.  I have the code up and
running and at least for time keeping it seems to be working OK.  Does
anyone have the ability to test this (and other weather station functions)?
Reason for asking is that my weather station was a victim of the basement
remodel and I do not have a functional weather station right now, so would
like to find a person to check it before I publish the release more widely.

3) Have any folk had experience good or bad with the TAI-603 and the T238?
I've had that code out for a while and would like to assume that no news is
good news, but not so sure that is the case.

4) I still have some older issues to follow up on, so in hopes those folk
are still around:
   a) I need to ensure links to TAPR email reflectors are current
   b) Evaluate feedback from Ted on the assembly instructions
   c) Pedro's questions on onewire viewers (I just got these re-running
again under Win7!)
   ...and probably a few other things too.

The basement isn't quite done yet, but at least I can start multi-tasking
again!

This email sent using 100% recycled electrons.
(Minimum 30% post-consumer content.