Wolcott in 1819
Wolcott, a small elevated township, is situated in the northern extremity of New-Haven county. The township is hilly and mountainous, and is situated in the vicinity of the commencement of the granitic district, which extends through the western section of the State. The soil is a hard, coarse, gravelly loam, and rather sterile; the lands however afford tolerable grazing, but are rough and stony. The dairy business, or making of butter and cheese, is the leading agricultural interest.
The town is watered by Mad river, a branch of the Naugatuck, which is a small but rapid stream. The Middletown and Waterbury turnpike road leads through the south part of the town. The manufactures and mechanical employments of the town, in addition to those of a domestic character, are 2 Distilleries for cider spirits, 2 Grain Mills, 1 Fulling Mill, 1 Carding Machine, and 3 Tanneries. There are 2 Mercantile Stores and 2 Taverns.
The town contains 1 located Congregational Society and l Episcopal Society; both of which have houses for public worship. It comprises 7 School Districts & Schools, and it has 1 Social Library, 1 Clergyman and 2 Physicians. Its population, in 1810, was 952; and there are 150 Electors, 1 Company of Militia, and 150 Dwelling houses. The amount of taxable property, including polls, is $18,504. Wolcott was incorporated in 1796.
(from The Gazetteer of The States of Connecticut & Rhode-Island, written by John C. Pease and John M. Niles, published in Hartford in 1819)